this basic gluten-free bread recipe, or some of the store brands which have greatly improved over the years. Finding a good gluten-free cornbread recipe is key if your family makes a cornbread stuffing.
This cornbread recipe is GREAT! You can see in the photos that it is moist and tender crumbed, what you can't experience is just how darn tasty it is!
This is a quick post, without the normal Q&A. If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I will get back to you as quickly as I can.
Gluten Free Buttermilk Cornbread
1 12” cast iron skillet or 9x13 baking dish or 24 muffins
1 1/3 cups gluten free flour blend
2/3 cup oat flour
2 cup cornmeal
1/2 to 1 cup sugar or honey, to taste
1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 Tbsp buttermilk powder**
1 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 cups water**
**can use 2 cups buttermilk in place of water and buttermilk powder. Buttermilk powder can be found near the powdered milk in the baking section of your local market. It is super handy to have on hand!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place cast iron skillet in oven to preheat as well.
1. Measure all dry ingredients into a large bowl and whisk well to mix.
2. Make sure butter has cooled sufficiently to not cook eggs and mix with eggs and water.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until combined with a few small lumps remaining.
4. Remove cast iron skillet from oven and fill with batter or pour batter into a buttered baking dish or divide batter into muffin cups.
5. Bake cast iron skillet or baking dish for 30-40 minutes; muffins take much less time, start checking at 15-20 minutes. Cornbread is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Leftovers freeze well. Cool completely, wrap in foil and then place in a zip top bag. This recipe is easily cut in half for a smaller batch.
Note: If you like this cornbread and want to make up a few jars or bags of mix for quicker use in the future, place all dry ingredients in container, a quart size canning jar works great. Label and add a note with remaining ingredients to be added and instructions for mixing and baking; store in a cool, dry, dark place.